New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Can I Get a Hong Kong Dependant Visa for My Same Sex Partner Now That We Are Legally Married?

April 28th, 2017

Posted in Family Visas, The Hong Kong Visa Geeza, Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered /


Hong Kong dependant visa for my same sex partner?

How is a legal marriage between same sex partners considered by the Hong Kong Immigration Department?


I am a Hong Kong permanent resident but not currently living in the HKSAR. 

I am considering re-locating to Hong Kong and would like to bring my husband with me.

We are a same-sex married couple.  We have a Civil-Partnership from Manchester, UK, granted in October 2012 and were also married in New York, USA in June of  2013.

Would it be possible for me to sponsor my husband as my dependent in Hong Kong? 

My husband is a British citizen.  Would it be possible to gain entitlement for my husband to work?

Thank you in advance for your help.

More Stuff You may Find Useful or Interesting

The reality for same sex partner visa applicants in Hong Kong

Hong Kong employment and same sex partner visas – a joint application strategy

10 Must Have resources for a same sex partner visa application in Hong Kong

Understanding the procedure for a same sex partner Hong Kong visa application

Can the employer sponsoring a gay partner’s employment visa application assist in any way in a visa application for an accompanying life partner?




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.

Handbook Contents
Professional Service Options...